Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Connecting the DOTS

Does it often happen  that you are not sure what to follow ... the sheer logic that keeps popping up in your mind or the clear inclination of your heart ...  you know for sure that you are being pulled to that side where your heart is ..... Nevertheless, I get into that dilemma pretty often and to be honest I am not very happy about it !

Recently I was reading the book “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson and he happened to point out the same things ... the dilemma is always there as if it is never ending .... following your heart may not give you your desired results now , but when you look back at it after  a long time.. I mean after a really long time ... the dots and the picture formed after connecting them would be very clear. I am not sure if I have seen any one in a while who does that >> “following your passion above the common obvious mundane logic”....I have not seen myself do that either..... But is it really worth taking the risk ? Not sure ..but then what are we really even sure about in life. We are not even sure if we will live the very next second of our life...but yet we tend to behave as though we have a whole century to live... I see people taking LIC policies that would pay them crores’ of rupees after 50 years .... I was pretty much perplexed with that idea actually....how sure are you to even live that long that you would tend to invest your hard earned money on some time frame which is so far away from the near future.

Well  leaving aside that , following your heart currently in OUR system definitely affects a whole lot of people... mainly parents and the problem that comes along about how scared they are and how much worried they get ... not that they would not be otherwise. But the comfort zone of everyone is disturbed....and as Indians are famed for...NOTHING OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE ... the only standalone mantra they have stuck to for years together and anyone who even dreams of one is branded as a coward .. a stupid and so on....

Luckily a couple of days back , I happened to meet a man who was at his 40's and was telling me his tale of life. Got married at the age of 23 with just 1000 rupees in his pocket and no job in hand. He said he was scared but he did take those steps with courage and now when he looks back ; it was the best decision he ever made in his life ... he has the love of his life by his side and he has fathered 2 children with her. I could see in his eyes that looking back now, after 17 years the DOTS do form a beautiful picture. He is able to connect the dots of his past to form a wonderful memory.


I too had a chance to experience a similar but very less inspirational setting. I had decided to head to Goa for celebrating New Year. Every single friend of mine ( family apart - did not tell them ... it was better that way ) persuaded me not to. Reason - " I was going on bike all alone to Goa ".Strangely I got the courage from somewhere as this was one of the craziest things that I had wanted to do since long  - Take my Yamaha for a tough ride. Luckily I returned back safe ;)  from the journey after clocking 1600km on the odometer. Looking back at it (18 months ago) this was one of the best and the most memorable thing that I had done in the year 2011.The dots and oppositions from people seemed very tough then but now looking back the dots are no more there ... they are part of a bigger and more vibrant picture which I cherish to this moment to the fullest!



Lastly , the followingspeech by Steve Jobs was inspirational then and even now !

6 comments:

Sujatha Sathya said...

true, many years from now what we will regret is not what we did but what we so very badly wanted to do but did not do for various reasons or like you put it "dots"

good post Nishan and yes, that speech is very inspiring

your indivine vote brought me to your blog

Unknown said...

@sujatha ... thanks !

Rameez Asees said...

Very true buddy..... being in dis comfort zone is so irritating sometimes... bt smtime feel... may be for good.But what we jst ave to make sure is dat all our dreams and passions shud never die off.... coz at the end u ll reach der 4 sure..even if u r in d comfort zone...jst like our Amazing Goa trip... as u said wen I look back..that was the best thing I did in 2011...!!!

Unknown said...

@ ram ... :)

Jubi said...

hey.. loved it soooo much.. really inspiring.. felt gd aftr readin this.. coz i too did something, some 8-9 months back, following my heart.. until now im a lil sad i did tat.. anyways i am gonna wait 4 tat somday on which those dots wil prove to be a part of a bigger beautiful picture..

Unknown said...

hope you found your answer !!

IndiBlogger - The Largest Indian Blogger Community